Reading is an essential life skill, therefore at Paxton Academy we aim to ensure that every child is confident with reading fluency and comprehension in order to successfully access their next year group/ key stage and beyond. We develop a passion for reading to ensure a lifelong habit.
We use Little Wandle Letters and Sounds revised as our SSP.
· A daily 30-minute phonics lesson in Reception and Year 1
· Clear progression with signposting of expected progress
· Planning and supporting resources
· On demand CPD, accessible for all staff
· Half termly assessments and online tracker tool
· Keep up programme for Reception and Y1 (This support continues in Year 2 and beyond where required)
· Parent resources for home learning
· 120 fully decodable books matched exactly to the progression
To ensure pupils can apply their phonics to reading, the SSP provides children with three 15-minute reading sessions, with a focus on decoding, prosody and comprehension. In addition to this, pupils are exposed to high quality texts across the curriculum to support opportunities for the application of their phonic knowledge.
To ensure fidelity to the program and consistency throughout the school, leaders ensure that:
· Staff receive regular training
· Half termly assessments are monitored place appropriate intervention planned
· Parents are provided with information throughout the year about how to support their child
· Learning walks provide opportunities for both formal and informal feedback
· We regularly invest in new literature for reading for pleasure
As a result of this, pupils make good progress from their starting points and teaching and learning is consistent.
We are now proudly showcasing our phonics and early reading provision for other schools across the borough of Croydon.
If you are a parent/carer and would like to find out more about Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised or download the supporting resources, please click here.